September 19th, 2018
President, Dave Pasqualicchio Report:
· Welcome Back!…It is nice to see Gail Leach back at the monthly meeting! Glad you are feeling better!
· How’s Everyone Doing… The siesta is over. It has been a pretty long, hot, muggy and rainy summer, but sooner or later, fall is upon us. Notice the trees and how they are distributing their full color, as they enhance the beauty of the landscape and shade us from the sun. Aren’t trees wonderful! But then we also have all the dead branches that need to be picked up after a storm and all the leaves that need to be raked and bagged, along with the blisters that come with it. And just when you think you got them all, the wind blows them in from your neighbor’s yard and you start all over again! Maybe trees are not all that wonderful? I will leave that for you to decide. J
· Thank You… Bristol Public Works Dept. and Justin Malley for thinking of us and planting mums throughout Forestville Center. Mayor Ellen brought back the essence of past colors (like there was with the Bristol Nursery) to local beds and planters. How beautiful it all looks!
· Display Pumpkins and Stalks… Which is a friendly reminder that the season change is upon us and Fall is rapidly approaching. Don’t you just love Connecticut! The four seasons bring a change in attitude to us all. Mostly positive feelings of happiness, but there can be disparity.
· How Was the Summer Concert…It was a beautiful summer night. Turnout was good and music was great!
Election of Officers… It seems like yesterday, but it is time to vote again. Our bylaws state that our election is held in October. Are we voting in the same officers? Do we need to call in Rob Newton?? Rob, if you are reading this….prepare yourself for the traditional “Call of Officers”!
Christmas Ornament 2018…What do you say….is this the end? Christine and Marcia have shown interest, but a lot hinges on Ultimate’s interest
Fall Pasta Comedy Auction…Set for Thursday Oct. 25th (right around the corner). Need volunteers to send flyers and phone calls to members. It is so important to attend! It is a fun night! This will be our last fundraiser of the year, so please put in an order for your table today….you’ll be glad you did! J
FVA Website…Thank you Paul Kowalczyk for keeping things up to date!! You can visit us at www.fvact.org
City Village Report:
City Councilor(s) – (Dave Mills):
I like the paint job in the Cameo Room Dave!
The Mayor continues to get it done! In line with cutting costs and efficiency, the mayor has looked to combining positions within both City Hall and the BOE.
The Farmers Market is wrapping up a successful season. Local merchants and farmers were happy with the interest of the towns people.
A new Mum Festival Committee has sparked an interest in the Mum Weekend once again. With new ideas and a bigger and better parade, this years’ event promises to be a big success! Congratulations to the committee on the results of all their hard work! And congratulations to 2018 Miss Mum, Kayla Paulette!
Have you seen the narrowed down list of entries for naming the new downtown street?
Bristol Sports Hall of Fame has a program where they collect used sports equipment. This will help keep costs down for families who have kids entering into sports.
Talks continue in regards to City Hall relocating to 10 Main St. and the costs and effectiveness that go along with it.
Memorial Blvd. School project….An architect has been selected.
There is a new sports bar/restaurant in town. It is the Bristol Sports Bar & Grille located at
369 N. Main St.
First Deputy, Leo Bonola (Remarks) – St. Matthew Church has a new pastor. Seems everyone likes him! Leo has also stated that he would like to start a 300 club.
Monthly Drawing Winner (1): Lynn Savage - $20 Cash
Monthly Drawing Winner (2): Sandy Gozzo – Bottle of wine donated by Nuchies
Vice President, Rick Leach: (fearless leader) – Leo and I will get together to discuss the upcoming Veterans Day Ceremony.
John Gianoni (Pine Lake Commissioner, FLL) – The fishing derby held in May was a rainy day. Due to the weather, we had 35 participants, which is less than last year.
Pat Morneau stated: It’s nice of you to do it!
Lt. Rich Guerrera (Community relations officer) – Make sure to remove or hide any valuables you may have in your vehicles when they are unattended. There have been many issues with cars being broken into late at night. Tires slashed and smashed windows. There have been 3 in this area.
The cameras/sensors at traffic lights are there to trigger the light, they are not videos used for vandalism.
Question: (Rick Leach) – The Lincoln St. sign on Rt. 72 seems to be messed up. It is facing the wrong direction. Can we get that fixed?
Bruce Barton (Post 209) – We recently moved our offices to Gloria Dei Lutheran Church located at 355 Camp St. in Bristol.
Correspondence Report: Maryellen Holden
- Note of Sympathy Sent – To Patti Woolverton for the passing of her mom
- Note of Sympathy Sent – To Bob Fletcher for the passing of his mom
- Presidents Notes: Maryellen said she will work the auction….(perhaps as the mascot waddles??)
Treasurer Report: Mary Jane Lindquist – All accounts are in good standing. All monthly reports are available at Nuchies.
Membership 2018: Mary Jane Lindquist – Would like to see more support from residents in Forestville. Your financial contribution is so important to the maintenance of Forestville and the many groups we support. Current Totals: Family – 68, Business – 49.
Have you noticed the renovations on Twining St. next to the fire station? That old green boarding house? It now has new siding and looks so nice! A beatification notice was sent by Joanie Trafford.
Restore a fence, paint the front door, plant a mum and always pick up litter.
Take a peek around your property. Every little bit helps.
Inspire….people do notice and it is so important!
· Historical Marker #5: O’Brien Funeral Home – Marker is currently in production with an expected fall install
· Rex Hamilton Marker: Will be placed in the Central Square Island Bed.
· Historical Marker #7: Thinking about the CPA building.
· Pasta Dinner Comedy Auction – Thursday October 25th. Tickets are available
· 2018 Christmas Ornament – Is it a go and what is the theme?
· 2019 Casino Bus Trip – Saturday January 5th.
Upcoming Events 2018:
· Election of Officers – October Meeting
· Turkey Shoot – November Meeting
Next Meeting –Wednesday October 17th, 2018 @ Nuchie’s – Meeting Time 5:30pm
If you have not already renewed your membership, please renew by sending your check payable to…. Forestville Village Association, c/o Mary Jane Lindquist, 81 Spark Avenue, Forestville, CT. 06010
Individual/ Family- $20.00_____, Non-Profit- $25.00______, Business - $50.00_______
Voluntary Donation - $________