Minutes / Newsletter
February 22nd, 2017
President, Dave Pasqualicchio Report:
· The January Start Up…..is complete and the sound of the Olga mallet marks the beginning of meeting number two of the 2017 season. Lets’ continue our movement!
· Mayday! Mayday! SOS!…...Sunday May 7th is Duck Day, so we assemble this evening, entering into an agreement to sell 5,000 Ducks, for the benefit and wellbeing of our village. We can use the extra commitment. Our goal is to find a few new book sellers. Ron Gagnon & Bruce Barton (of Post 209) did an awesome job last year! The spring like weather is trying to make its way in, which is great for selling Ducks! So lets’ dig down deep and get it done! Please, please, please stop by and get your book today. Don’t think about it…..just do it!
· The Chamber Home Show…...seemed to have a renewed interest this year and was widely attended on both days! A Big Thank You to the F.V.A. volunteers you helped sell tickets during the two day event. They are: Penny & Kit Critchley, Geri Reilly, Ray DiYullio, Gail & Rick Leach, Marsha & Don Lockhart, John & Donna Gianoni, Mary Jane & Bruce Lindquist, Cheryl Thibeault, Maryellen Holden, Tina Taylor, Leo Bonola, Ron & Joan Trafford. The kick-off seemed to go well and 25 books were sold! Also, Assistant Duck Chair Penny Critchley informed us that there were 8 Christmas ornaments sold, as well as 3 membership renewals during the weekend festivities! All great news!!
· How I Miss That Activity Board…...depicting photographs activities and events of the past year. Does anyone have pictures of interest? Maybe Ron Tessman’s website? Any crafty people out there? Give me the pics…..I can craft a board.
· New Faces In The Crowd…...the F.V.A. welcomes Tom Euley, Kim Carmelich & Bob Passamano to tonight’s meeting. New members bring inspiration! Also, we welcome back an old friend returning tonight, Paul D’Aprile!
· Forestville Memorial Day Tribute Parade…...Will be held on Monday May 29th. Chuck-E-Woodin, “The Savior” will once again attempt to line up this year’s parade. Chuck has a leg up on the parade this year and is very excited to get this one “off”. A lot was learned with the rainout last year. A pasta dinner to benefit the parade will be held at Nuchies on Thursday April 20th. Please buy a ticket, or stop by in support.
· Also On The Fundraiser Front…...The F.V.A. will donate $100 to the Bob Watson Memorial Scholarship Fund, as well as donate $150 to the Bristol Family Resource Centers “Passport 2 Fun” program, being held on Friday March 24th. The Bristol Hospital “Festival Of Wine & Spirits” being held on April 1st is a new fundraiser that the F.V.A. has been approached with donating to and was tabled for further discussion at the March monthly meeting. American Legion Post 209 is holding 2 upcoming fundraisers for their own organization. The first will be at McDonalds on March 15th from 5pm-8pm. The second will be held on March 20th at Wayback Burger from 5pm-8pm. The F.V.A. has also offered to support Post 209 with a donation. Finally……The F.V.A. will be a Silver Sponsor ($500) for The United Way Day of Caring, held on May 19h, with the Community Builders Reception being held on April 6th.
City Village Report:
· City Councilor – (Dave Mills) –
Has anyone been by the old Bristol Press Building, which is now the new location of “Biker’s Edge”? What a wonderful job done on that location! The structure next door, which is an old brick, post & beam layout looks great as well and is currently available. Any input or possible ideas on what you may like to see in this location? Maybe a restaurant?
Congratulations to the Bristol Eastern High School wrestling team on their State Championship!
What a fine job the Public Works Dept. did on handling the snow removal from the recent storms. The streets were in great shape! If you feel there is an area that was neglected, or requires additional clean-up, or if you have issues with potholes, please call Joe Mone (supervisor) in the Public Works Dept. He is very much interested in your concerns and will take care of your issues.
Here are a few key dates coming up…….On March 8th there will be a presentation on the potential dangers of Social Media and things to look out for. The presentation will be held at Bristol Central High School by Social Media Educator, Tom Pincince. On March 9th there will be a BDA meeting on the downtown project with Bristol Hospital. The project is moving along. Also, on March 20th, there will be a meeting to discuss the potential moving of City Hall into the Memorial Blvd. School building, along with a theater option (a must for project consideration). Thank you Cheryl Thibeault for the info on this meeting!
First Deputy, Leo Bonola – The Duck Race ticket sales are just getting started. Thank you to all who volunteered their time to sell during the Home Show! Maryellen had a lot of help this year! – President Notes: Leo is our 2nd in command and tends to lend a hand in all F.V.A. activities! Thank you Leo!
Monthly Drawing Winner: Mary Jane Lindquist – A $20 gift certificate to Max Pizza
· Vice President, Rick Leach: Remarks – No Report – Will forward allotted 2 minutes to others with pertinent information on other agenda items.
President Notes: Any new updates in regards to F.V.A. By-laws?
· Christine Levesque (F.V.A. Scholarship) – Applications for the F.V.A.’s $1,000 Scholarship are in all 3 High Schools, with an end of March deadline. The committee will review all applicants and a winner will be announced at our April meeting.
· Cheryl Thibeault (Duck Chair) - No Report – Assistant Duck Chair Penny Critchley, reminds all that West End Associations Festival will be held on Saturday August 19th, so mark your calendars!
· Kristen Varano (Facebook Page) - If you have any information, or pictures you would like to share on our Facebook page, please send to Kristen @ email@example.com.
· John Gianoni (Pine Lake Commissioner, FLL) –The 3rd Annual Pine Lake Fishing Derby will be held on Saturday May 13th.
· Chuck Woodin (FMDT Parade) – We did a lot of ground work last year, but no parade. Funds received last year will carry over, however sponsors are needed and welcomed. This year’s theme will be Red, White & Blue. Our next meeting will be held on March 23rd at the Manross Library. All are welcome! There will be a pasta fundraiser to benefitting the parade, held at Nuchies on Thursday April 20th@ 5pm. Please come join us and show your support! If there are any questions, or if you would like to participate on the parade committee in any way, please contact us at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Bruce Barton (Post 209 Spokesperson) – We have 2 fundraiser coming up this month. The first will be at McDonalds on March 15th from 5pm-8pm. The second will be held on March 20th at Wayback Burger from 5pm-8pm. The Post 209 Youth Fishing Derby will be held on Saturday May 20th from 5am-12pm @ Rockwell Park. We are always looking for new members and we meet the 3rd Monday of every month at Asbury, which is right around the corner.
· Lt. Rich Guerrera (Community relations officer) – A reminder that it’s tax time……….be on the lookout for IRS scams! If you have any issues with potholes, you can also contact our office and an officer will respond.
Treasurer Report: Mary Jane Lindquist – All accounts are in good standing. The annual and monthly reports are always available at Nuchies.
Membership 2017: Mary Jane Lindquist – Early returns look promising, but please respond promptly if you have not done so already, as your dues help defray the expenses of operations, maintenance and especially the Central Square Clock Property. A big Thank You to “The Healing Corner”, who once again donated an additional $1000 on top of their $50 membership dues. It is extremely thoughtful and the F.V.A. appreciates all donations!!
A Memorial Walkway sign would bring attention to a very nice walkway!
Spring Clean Up – Will be held on April 22nd, starting @ 8am. Please consider donating 2 hours of your time. You can make a real difference.
Property Recognition – Always Welcome!
Maintain Properties – It is so important!!
Correspondence Report: Mary Ellen Holden
- Note of Sympathy – To Ken Heyne for the passing of his dad Rudy
- Note of Sympathy– To Nancy Turski for the passing of her brother Bob
- Note of Information – Allison Owsianko will once again be holding a dinner fundraiser for the Connecticut Brain Tumor Alliance at Nuchies Restaurant on Saturday April 8th. Last year’s event raised over $8,000. Let’s exceed that mark this year!
· Historical Marker #3: 164 Central Street (Ready for Spring Install)
· Historical Marker #4: Up Next, Combo History of the Golarz Property/Owsianko Block?
· The Duck Race – Sunday May 7th
· FMDTP Pasta Dinner – Thursday April 20th, 5pm @ Nuchies Restaurant
· 2017 Christmas Ornament – Golarz/Owsianko
Upcoming Events 2017:
· United Way Community Builders Reception – Thursday, April 6th
· United Way Day of Caring – Friday, May 19th
· Forestville Memorial Day Tribute Parade – Monday, May 29th
Next FVA meeting –Wednesday March 22nd 2017 – Nuchies – Business meeting 5:30pm
If you have not already renewed your membership, please renew by sending your check payable to Forestville Village Association, c/o Mary Jane Lindquist, 81 Spark Avenue, Forestville, CT. 06010
Individual/ Family- $20.00_____, Non-Profit- $25.00______, Business - $50.00_______
Voluntary Donation - $________
Let us remember to support the businesses and non- profit organizations, who support us!
Albert & Korn, CPA’s
Italian Social Club
Allied Sanitation, Inc.
Korean Veterans Association Bristol
American Clock & Watch Museum
LFD Bristol, Inc.
American Legion Bristol Post #2
American Legion Forestville Post 209
Arf Arf Grooming, LLC
Nye Insurance Agency
O’Brien Funeral Home
Atlantic Precision Spring, Inc.
One Fifty Central
Black Bear Auto, LLC
Bristol Instrument and Gears, Inc.
Peter Roberge Painting Company
Bristol Police Union Local 754
Power Fuels Propane, LLC
Broad Street Self Storage
RB Transmissions, LLC
CACO Print Productions, LLC
Redshed Christmas Trees
City True Value Hardware
Rt. 72 Liquors
Classic Plumbing By Reno
Sassu Cuts, LLC (Joseph)
Scarritt Spas & Hot Tubs, LLC
Crowley Auto Group
DTF Remodeling, LLC.
St. Joseph Polish Society
St. Matthew R.C. Church
First Class Automotive, LLC
The Healing Corner
Forestville Lawn Care
The Ultimate Companies, Inc.
Forestville Little League
Tollman Spring Co.
Hartford County Tattoo
United Way of W.C. CT
Hillside Community Church
Webster Bank – Forestville
White Insulation, Inc.
Please Renew Your 2017 Membership