Minutes / Newsletter
January 18th, 2017
· A New Year Begins, 2017…..At 4:30pm, Nuchies Restaurant (The Capital of Forestville) provided a buffet dinner to all my people, for all the good work they do! As I prepared my remarks for this evening, my first thought was about how close we have all become. We are a family and I personally feel emotional when thinking back to where it all began (2002) and all the work and dedication you have consistently delivered for the one goal of moving Forestville forward.
· Building Up To Tradition…….Most organizations/clubs have a certain ritual, or tradition they adhere to. Some drink punch from a special bowl, some have favorite toasting glasses, others kneel down in prayer. The F.V.A. has a tradition of summarizing the past year’s events through poem, known as, “The Reading of the Card”. This can only be done by the “One and Only”, Mary Ellen Holden who proclaims, “Behold! There is only one page this year! (please see enclosed copy).
· Recapping The Past Year……How quickly 2016 has passed. Yearly calendar events approach and though our city may have been experiencing a drought this past season, the rain somehow found our events and created unwanted cancellations. Overall, membership was okay (could be better) and meeting attendance was down. Financially, the Duck Race held its’ own, while the strength of the casino bus trip (though a Jan. 2017 event) raised $7,100 and the F.V.A. remains in good standing and fiscally sound. A few businesses have closed and a few have opened. I am proud of our village and the businesses in it. Please continue to support places like Marilyn’s Pub, Sage, San Gennaro’s, 150 Central, Nuchies, Max Pizza and Palma’s Diner to name a few. Help them continue to succeed and grow in our community. Make a New Year’s Resolution to have more fun when you can. Spend more time with family and friends. Travel more. Always work to be a better person and instill the word “Goodness” in your daily work. Good health to all: No major problems, or setbacks.
· Goals For A New Year…….How we continue to succeed
° Slow Down
° Extend Membership
° Support Area Businesses
° Continue Historical Markers
Finish Marker #3 (164 Central Street)
Start Marker #4 (The History of the Golarz Property)
° Maintain and Further Enhance Village
President, Dave Pasqualicchio Report:
· And Now It’s Time To Start The 2017 F.V.A. Season With The Ceremonial Knock Of The Olga Mallet…..Welcome to the first meeting of 2017! Only 8 meetings to go! It all began on a cold January night 16 years ago, under the direction of two city police officers (Bernie Brzozowski & Al Meyers) and here we are today celebrating the anniversary of another year helping to beautify our community.
· The 15th Annual Carol Sing…...Was held on Tuesday Dec. 20th and the weather was great (for once)! We had a really nice turnout and the entertainment was awesome! Santa was there, as well as our emcee and organizer Mary Lynn Gagnon. Special thanks to our host Bryan Ricci and to Pete Roberge for the song books.
· Those Ducks Are Right Around The Corner…...The Bristol Chamber Home & Business Expo being held on Saturday February 18th and Sunday February 19th, is the official start of “Duck Season”, so let’s Sell, Sell, Sell!
· The 2016 “Duck Race” Christmas Ornament…...Sold well (okay). Thank you to Ultimate Companies and the Ultimate Family of Bob Nadeau and Nancy Brault for the purchase of 75 ornaments. You are always there for our community! Also, a very special thank you to Tom “Duck” Dickau who was able to sell an additional 41 ornaments due to his efforts at craft fairs and Nuchies Holiday events. Tom, your time and dedication is very much appreciated! Thank You! Any ideas for 2017?
· The Mohegan Sun Bus Trip (2017)…...Loads of fun were had by all (and no big fight between Dave & Leo), as a total of 400 people packed into 8 buses and headed towards Uncasville. Once again though, the weather did not cooperate, as snow was the culprit this time, but we took it slow and before you knew it, we saw “The Sun”. Special thanks to Tim Dudzinski for a full bus, Leo Bonola for a full bus and St. Joes Polish Society (Gary Marchesi & Bob Martel) for full buses. Also, thanks to Curtis at Post Road Stages, as the casino sweetened the pot and provided each person with $40! This year’s event raised $7,100.
· Stay Tuned…...The F.V.A. meeting start times may fluctuate a bit here and there during 2017. You may see a 5pm start time, or maybe even a noon start time, but for now we will hold at the 5:30pm start time and see what the future holds.
· Congratulations Are In Order…...Mary Jane and Bruce have married. Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Lindquist! One really nice couple!
City Village Report:
· City Councilor – (Dave Mills) – No January Report…..but I am sure Dave will bring us up to date at the February meeting.
· First Deputy, Leo Bonola – Thank you Dave & Mike for the nice dinner you provided. Thank you Dave for a fine job with the bus trip! The Duck Race is upon us once again, but I don’t think I can keep up the pace. We are really in need of volunteers! Please help!!
Monthly Drawing Winner: Peg Bonola – A $20 gift certificate to One Fifty Central
· Vice President, Rick Leach: Remarks – No Report
President Notes: Rick is always the quiet leader, adding words of wisdom, leadership and common sense where needed. A real “Go To” man!
· Christine Levesque (F.V.A. Scholarship) – Applications for the F.V.A.’s $1,000 Scholarship are being placed in the 3 High Schools, with a March deadline.
· Kristen Varano (Facebook Page) - If you have any information, or pictures you would like to share on our Facebook page, please send to Kristen @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
· John Gianoni (Pine Lake Commissioner, FLL) – The Forestville L.L. is now registering for spring baseball! Check them out on Facebook. The 3rd Annual Pine Lake Fishing Derby will be held on Saturday May 13th. Note: The F.V.A. will donate $100 to help with the costs.
· Bruce Barton (Post 209 Spokesperson) – No Report
· Post 209 (FMDP) – Potential Fundraiser in April 2017?? If there are any questions, or if you would like to participate on the parade committee in any way, please contact us at (email@example.com).
· Lt. Rich Guerrera (Community relations officer) – Thanks to the community for helping with the police department’s holiday toy drive. Mary Jane (Johnson) Lindquist, was nice enough purchase toys on behalf of the F.V.A., totaling a donation of $108.84. Once again, the Ultimate Companies came up big with a donation of 100 gifts. Nice Job!
It’s tax time……….be on the lookout for IRS scams!
· Paul Kawalczyk (F.V.A. Website) – contact Paul with any new material, or updates to be shared on our website.
Treasurer Report: Mary Jane Lindquist – All accounts are in good standing. Final numbers for 2016 are available at Nuchies.
Membership 2017: Mary Jane Lindquist – The 2016 year end totals were 84 Families and 52 Businesses. The numbers are okay, but could improve. Membership renewal forms will be enclosed in the next newsletter mailing and are also available at Nuchies. Please renew ASAP.
Dave mentioned he would like to install a Sign at Quinlan bringing attention to the significance of the Veteran’s Walkway. “Take A Stroll”.
Spring Clean Up – Date to be released soon. Please consider donating 2 hours of your time. You can make a real difference.
Property Recognition – Always Welcome!
Maintain Properties – It is so important!!
Correspondence Report: Mary Ellen Holden
- Get Well – Sent to Penny, who had been recovering from a holiday set back.
- Note of Sympathy – To the family of Rudy Heyne
- Note of Thanks– To Leo B. & Rick L. for their work with the Veterans Day Service
- Note of Thanks – Mary Lynn Gagnon for her work with the Carol Sing.
- Note of Information – Allison Owsianko will once again be holding a dinner fundraiser for the Connecticut Brain Tumor Alliance at Nuchies Restaurant on Saturday April 8th. Last year’s event raised over $8,000. Let’s exceed that mark this year!
· Historical Marker #3: 164 Central Street (In Process)
· Historical Marker #4: Up Next, History of the Golarz Property?
Upcoming Events 2017:
· Chamber Home Show – February 18th & 19th. ( The official start of Duck Season)
Next FVA meeting –Wednesday February 22nd 2017 – Nuchie’s – Business meeting 5:30pm
If you have not already renewed your membership, please renew by sending your check payable to Forestville Village Association, c/o Mary Jane Lindquist, 81 Spark Avenue, Forestville, CT. 06010
Individual/ Family- $20.00_____, Non-Profit- $25.00______, Business - $50.00_______
Voluntary Donation - $________
Let us remember to support the businesses and non- profit organizations, who support us!
Albert & Korn, CPA’s
Italian Social Club
Allied Sanitation, Inc.
Korean Veterans Association Bristol
American Clock & Watch Museum
LFD Bristol, Inc.
American Legion Bristol Post #2
American Legion Forestville Post 209
Arf Arf Grooming, LLC
Nye Insurance Agency
O’Brien Funeral Home
Atlantic Precision Spring, Inc.
One Fifty Central
Black Bear Auto, LLC
Bristol Instrument and Gears, Inc.
Peter Roberge Painting Company
Bristol Police Union Local 754
Power Fuels Propane, Inc.
CACO Print Productions, LLC
RB Transmissions, LLC
City True Value Hardware
Redshed Christmas Trees
Classic Plumbing By Reno
Rt. 72 Liquors
Sassu Cuts, LLC (Joseph)
Crowley Auto Group
Scarritt Spas & Hot Tubs, LLC
DTF Remodeling, LLC.
St. Joseph Polish Society
St. Matthew R.C. Church
First Class Automotive, LLC
The Healing Corner
Fontaine Mechanical Heating & A/C
The Ultimate Companies, Inc.
Forestville Lawn Care
Tollman Spring Co.
Forestville Little League
United Way of W.C. CT
Hartford County Tattoo
Webster Bank – Forestville
Hillside Community Church
White Insulation, Inc.
Please Renew Your 2017 Membership