Minutes / Newsletter
July 19th, 2017
President, Dave Pasqualicchio Report:
· Summer Is Almost Over… Just seems after the 4th of July, summer just flies by and soon the pumpkins will appear, which indicates that the holiday season is approaching.
· Speaking Of Pumpkins…...preparations have begun for our fall Pumpkin Festival, which will be held on October 29th (always the Sunday before Halloween), so mark your calendars. If you would like to help out, volunteers are always welcome! More information to follow.
· Summer Concert Review…...turnout was good, though we had to postpone the concert one night due to rain. It is possible turnout could have been better if we were able to stick with the original night, but no complaints. The band was great as expected!
· Will Duck Race Continue…...discussions on whether or not the F.V.A. will continue its “Duck Race” partnership with the Bristol Chamber of Commerce are still ongoing. There are still some questions that need to be addressed. How would the F.V.A. offset the loss of revenue? Maybe pasta suppers? Additional Bus Trips? What course does the Chamber take going forward? Where would the event be held and on what date? Who would replace the F.V.A. as a partner? Maybe the F.V.A. steps back in a reduced roll, like possibly selling a block of tickets? The conversations are still ongoing and Mary Ellen Holden said she will email Cheryl T. for more insight on the Chambers thoughts and plans, but a decision needs to be made by Labor Day.
· The F.V.A. Scholarship…... Sandy Gozzo expressed her displeasure on the botched handling of the 2017 F.V.A. scholarship, which was awarded to Bristol Central High School senior Simon Andrews. Due to the error, Simon was unable to receive his scholarship at the Bristol Central Awards Ceremony and the F.V.A. did not receive the scholarship exposure, leaving all parties not receiving the recognition they deserved. The F.V.A. would like to extend its sincere congratulations to Simon Andrews as being the recipient of the 2017 F.V.A. Scholarship for his outstanding work! The F.V.A. Scholarship Committee will now be chaired by Mary Ellen Holden.
· The July Monthly Meeting…..featured a luncheon, sponsored by Nuchies Restaurant. Due to the odd and unusual start time (noon), membership turnout was considerably low.
City Village Report:
· City Councilor – (Dave Mills) – No Report
· First Deputy, Leo Bonola – The Chamber is having “Business After Hours” on Aug. 11th from 11am – 9pm. Tickets are $20. Thank you Dave for the good meal!
Monthly Drawing Winner: No monthly drawing
· Vice President, Rick Leach: (the ever important) – Thank you for the prayers and cards! I feel fine! The revised F.V.A. bylaws for 2017 were voted on and accepted…..all in favor….motion carries!
The Forestville Memorial Day Tribute Parade Committee is pondering a move from a Monday parade, to a Sunday parade next year. This way, the Monday could be used as a rain date. Dave P. wonders why the BE /BC Bands are able to both participate for a Sunday parade, but not the actual Monday “Memorial Day” parade? How is it cost related by alternating them year to year on Memorial Day? Dave also suggests, due to the city budget restraints, the difficulty fundraising, the decline in viewers along the parade route and the difficulty retaining bands and attracting marchers, that maybe it is time for a change. Why not have a ceremony at Quinlan, instead of a parade, to honor those vets who have passed. Lay a wreath, play taps, sing the Anthem. Thoughts?
· Cheryl Thibeault (Duck Chair) - No Report
· Kristen Varano (Facebook Page) - If you have any information, or pictures you would like to share on our Facebook page, please send to Kristen @ email@example.com.
· John Gianoni (Pine Lake Commissioner, FLL) – No Report
· Chuck Woodin (FMDT Parade) – No Report
If there are any questions, or if you would like to participate on the parade committee in any way, please contact us at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Bruce Barton (Post 209 Happenings) – No Report
· Lt. Rich Guerrera (Community relations officer) – No Report
Treasurer Report:. Mary Jane Lindquist – All accounts are in good standing. The monthly reports are always available at Nuchies.
Membership 2017: Mary Jane Lindquist – Current membership for 2017 is (Family 58, Businesses 45). Several reminder notices have been mailed out.
The staple of our organization.
Little work creates pride and people are influenced.
Our Central Square landscaper has sold his business to ”Local Choice Landscaping” out of Unionville. We will keep an eye on their work and pricing. Possibly put a bid out in the spring.
Memorial Walkway Sign – Is in the works!
Maintain Properties – Take a peek at your property for any blight, trash, leaves, etc. Inspire others to tidy up.
Correspondence Report: Mary Ellen Holden
- Note of Thanks Received – From Veterans Educational Services for the F.V.A. donation
- Note of Thanks Received – From Bristol Hospital Parent and Child Center for the F.V.A.’s $50 donation
· Historical Marker #3: 164 Central Street – Has been installed! New pavers and install cost $2,100. The cost of the actual plaque, along with the designing of the plaque was $1,200.
· Historical Marker #4: Up Next, Combo History of the Golarz Property/Owsianko Block. Looking for specific dates and building/property information. If anyone has information on the 150 Central Building, please come forward.
· Fall Auction Pasta Supper – Date TBA. In need of raffle prizes or auction items
· 2017 Christmas Ornament – Golarz/Owsianko
Upcoming Events 2017:
· Summer Concert – Pumpkin Festival, Sunday Oct. 29th
Next Meeting –Wednesday September 13th, 2017 @ Nuchie’s – Business meeting 5:30pm
If you have not already renewed your membership, please renew by sending your check payable to Forestville Village Association, c/o Mary Jane Lindquist, 81 Spark Avenue, Forestville, CT. 06010
Individual/ Family- $20.00_____, Non-Profit- $25.00______, Business - $50.00_______
Voluntary Donation - $________
Let us remember to support the businesses and non- profit organizations, who support us!
Albert & Korn, CPA’s
Italian Social Club
Allied Sanitation, Inc.
Korean Veterans Association Bristol
American Clock & Watch Museum
LFD Bristol, Inc.
American Legion Bristol Post #2
American Legion Forestville Post 209
Arf Arf Grooming, LLC
Nye Insurance Agency
O’Brien Funeral Home
Atlantic Precision Spring, Inc.
One Fifty Central
Black Bear Auto, LLC
Bristol Instrument and Gears, Inc.
Peter Roberge Painting Company
Bristol Police Union
Power Fuels Propane, LLC
Broad Street Self Storage
RB Transmissions, LLC
CACO Print Productions, LLC
Redshed Christmas Trees
City True Value Hardware
Rt. 72 Liquors
Classic Plumbing By Reno
Sassu Cuts, LLC (Joseph)
Scarritt Spas & Hot Tubs, LLC
Crowley Auto Group
DTF Remodeling, LLC.
St. Joseph Polish Society
St. Matthew R.C. Church
First Class Automotive, LLC
The Healing Corner
Forestville Lawn Care
The Ultimate Companies, Inc.
Forestville Little League
Tollman Spring Co.
Hartford County Tattoo
United Way of W.C. CT
Hillside Community Church
Webster Bank – Forestville
White Insulation, Inc.
Please Renew Your 2017 Membership