Minutes / Newsletter
September 14th, 2016
President, Dave Pasqualicchio Report:
· Let’s Start…..The President calls the September meeting to order with the symbolic knock of the Olga Mallet. Joan T. has informed membership that Olga has not been feeling well and was hospitalized, but is starting to feel better. Please keep her in your prayers. C’mon Olga!
· Welcome Back……from the summer snooze. Just a reminder that there are only 3 meetings left in our 2016 campaign, so lets’ finish strong!
· The Pumpkin Festival…...Is on the calendar and is rapidly approaching. Pumpkin Festival Chair Sandy Gozzo, reminds us that this year’s festivities will happen on Sunday Oct. 30th, from 5:30pm – 7:30pm (please note this years’ time change). Sandy also mentioned that there are no “support grants” from area banks this year, however the F.V.A. voted to fully fund the 2016 festival. Sandy would like to see more community support by simply carving a pumpkin. Also, Joan T. reminds us of the ever popular Scarecrow contest. Again this year there will be an adult parade, a children’s parade, a pet parade and candy goodie bags for the kids! Please drop off all donated candy to Nuchies and volunteers will sort and fill bags for all!
· The Month of October…...Is a time to adhere to our by-laws, evaluate our current officers and elect our 2017 officers. Speaking of our by-laws, they are currently being reviewed and assessed by V.P. Rick Leach and Bruce Lindquist. They will make recommendations based on their findings, at the October meeting.
· The Summer…...Of record breaking heat is behind us and now is the time where we prepare for the upcoming holidays. A time to look at your property. To tidy yards up. Perhaps paint a fence, or spruce up your yard with some mums and pumpkins. Have pride and your neighbors will notice. A nice way to inspire a community. Remember, you’re in my town now!
· F.V.A. Will…...The question still remains, if something were to happen and the F.V.A. were to dissolve, where would the money go? Who would maintain Central Square? MaryEllen Holden mentioned a “Dissolution Clause” can be put in place, which could clearly identify what is supposed to happen, so that the organizations officers do not have to decide. This could include things like, moving money to a foundation with provisions on what to do with it, or even put it in a lawyers hands.
· Always Keeping Us Informed…...Joan T. let us know that two F.V.A. Vets, Patti Woolverton and Diana Mikulak had been involved in a golf cart mishap and were banged up pretty good. The F.V.A. is wishing them well and for a speedy recovery.
· I Would Like To See…...A better turnout at our monthly meetings. We are only talking about an hour and a half worth of time. There are some beverages and light snacks provided. We do tend to have a fun time.
· Good News!…...Thanks to Joe Mone and the Bristol Public Works Dept., for taking over the mowing at the former Lauretti property. This will be a savings of $150 per mow. Thanks very much Joe!!
· Welcome Back…...To some familiar faces in the crowd tonight. It was nice to see John & Marie(Tobin) Shilling. Also, we were blessed to have with us tonight, Kits sister, Mother Therese Critchley, Benedictine of Our Lady of the Rock, located on Shaw Island in Washington State, Pugent Sound. Great to see everyone!!
City Village Report:
· City Councilors – On this night there is no report, as councilors had pending business to attend to. We look forward to seeing “them” next month.
· First Deputy, Leo Bonola – (Kiddingly states) After numerous calls to the city and state for new roads in areas of Forestville neighborhoods, after 5 years of waiting, Dave moves in and what happens?!.....New Roads! LOL
Monthly Drawing Winner: John Gianoni - $20 Gift Card to Palma’s Diner
· Vice President, Rick Leach (Veteran Leadership) – This year’s Veterans Day Services will be held on Friday, Nov. 11th at Quinlan Park. The program is currently being outlined. Anyone wishing to take part, please contact Rick Leach, or Leo Bonola.
· Kristen Varano (Facebook Page, FLL) - If you have any information, or pictures you would like to share on our Facebook page, please send to Kristen @ email@example.com.
· John Gianoni (Pine Lake Commissioner) – The fishing derby held in May was of course another rainy day. With that being said, there were 117 fish caught that day by our 47 participants. The kids were all smiles that day! The Boy Scouts were an instrumental part of our success, helping prepare the site. Thank you to Troop 17 (Green Hills) and Troop 20 (St. Matthew)
· Bruce Barton (Post 209 Spokesperson) – Bruce has informed the F.V.A., that Chuck Woodin has stepped down as Post 209 Commander, due to health reasons, as well as some other personal reasons and just an overall need to step back and take a break. He will remain as an advisor. His role in regards to the Forestville Memorial Day Tribute Parade is a little unclear at this time. Also, the pasta dinner fundraiser to help raise money for the parade may be moved to the spring as opposed to holding it in the fall. In regards to the Pumpkin Festival, the Post will be involved in whatever capacity required on the day of the event. Post 209 has been active over the summer, engaged in fundraisers held at Stop & Shop and Walmart. All money raised goes back into the community. It is been wonderful being a part of this community over the past 2 years. Ray LaBossiere has been a great source of information regarding the Post’s commitment as well.
· Post 209 (FMDP) – The Pasta Dinner could be moved to the Spring
· Lt. Rich Guerrera (Community relations officer) – Always wanting to keep the village informed of police force happenings, new procedures, or cases particular to Forestville. The TD Bank robbery last Sunday, not much out yet. On Saturday, September 17th, The Bristol Fire Dept., EMT and Police Dept. are playing a softball tournament at Casey Field. This helps to open up dialogue and lines of communication. On October 22nd, the police dept. will take back drug prescriptions from 10am – 2pm, with no questions asked. Also, this past June, the director of the traffic division, Ed Spyros, was promoted to Captain and Lt. Todd Kozaryn was promoted to director of the traffic division. Congratulations Ed and Todd! Q&A – Joan T. Asked: What is the procedure in regards to fireworks? Lt. Response: They are illegal, so if there is an issue, you should call the police dept. and they will respond.
Treasurer Report: Mary Jane Johnson – I’m happy to report that the F.V.A.’s portion of the Pequabuck River Duck Race proceeds, has finally been received., totaling $10,512.78. All is well with our finances and all reports are always available at Nuchies.
Membership 2016: Mary Jane Johnson – Our membership currently stands at 79 Families and 47 Businesses. It is never too late to pay your dues. Your $20 (family) / $50 (business) investment goes a long way! Membership forms are always available at Nuchies. If you are unsure if you have already renewed, please contact Mary Jane Johnson @ firstname.lastname@example.org. Also accepting “In Memory/Honor Of” Memorial donations. Presidents Note: Mary Jane has done a great job sending out reminders and our new numbers really reflex that. Thanks for all you do Mary Jane!
Beautification (The Staple Of Our Base):
Mums! Mums! Mums!.............It’s time to beautify and recognize for the fall season!
Quinlan Bricks (4th Phase) – Is completed! All 15 bricks have been installed by Mr. Bob Martel. There is room for an additional 10 bricks if anyone is interested. Would make for a great Christmas gift.
Property Recognition – Let us know if you see a property that deserves to be recognized.
Correspondence Report: Mary Ellen Holden
- Note of Sympathy – To Laurie Sherman (Simply Hair) for the passing of her husband.
- Note of Sympathy – To Reggie Roy, for the passing of her mom.
- Notes of Thanks – For Memorial Donations received in memory of John Lasnier (7)
- Notes of Thanks – For Memorial Donations received in memory of Jenny Otnisky (5)
· Historical Marker #3: Nuchies Restaurant (164 Central Property)
Upcoming Events 2016/2017:
· Pumpkin Festival – Sunday, October 30th
· Veterans Day Ceremony – Friday, Nov. 11th
· Mohegan Sun Bus Trip – Saturday, Jan. 7th, 2017
· 2016 Christmas Ornament (13th) – “The Duck Race” – Dave to do follow up. Also reordering 25 O’Brien Funeral Home Ornaments.
· Parade Pasta Auction – ?
Next FVA meeting – Wednesday October 19th, 2016 – Nuchies – Business meeting 5:30pm
If you have not already renewed your membership, please renew by sending your check payable to Forestville Village Association, c/o Mary Jane Johnson, 81 Spark Avenue, Forestville, CT. 06010
Individual/ Family- $20.00_____, Non-Profit- $25.00______, Business - $50.00_______
Voluntary Donation - $________
Let us remember to support the businesses and non- profit organizations, who support us!
Albert & Korn, CPA’s
Korean Veterans Association Bristol
Allied Sanitation, Inc.
Lassy Tools, Inc.
American Clock & Watch Museum
LFD Bristol, Inc.
American Legion Bristol Post #2
American Legion Forestville Post 209
Martel Home Improvement
Arf Arf Grooming, LLC
Atlantic Precision Spring, Inc.
Nye Insurance Agency
Black Bear Auto, LLC
O’Brien Funeral Home
Bristol Instrument and Gears, Inc.
One Fifty Central
Bristol Police Union Local 754
CACO Print Productions, LLC
Peter Roberge Painting Company
City True Value Hardware
Classic Plumbing By Reno
RB Transmissions, LLC
Redshed Christmas Trees
Crowley Auto Group
Rt. 72 Liquors
DTF Remodeling, LLC.
Sassu Cuts, LLC (Joseph)
Scarritt Spas & Hot Tubs, LLC
First Class Automotive, LLC
St. Joseph Polish Society
St. Matthew R.C. Church
Fontaine Mechanical Heating & A/C
Forestville Lawn Care
The Healing Corner
Forestville Little League
The Ultimate Companies, Inc.
Greater Bristol Labor Council
Tollman Spring Co.
Green Hills PTA
United Way of W.C. CT
Hartford County Tattoo
Webster Bank – Forestville
Hillside Community Church
White Insulation, Inc.
Italian Social Club
Please Renew Your 2016 Membership